Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book Review - The Hunger Games

I recently finished the first book of a new series for me.  This is a sort of science fiction genre but really is an alternative history subgenre.  B&N kept recommending the book to me but I know I read the premise and really wasn't that interested despite the rave reviews for the book.

The Premise via B&N:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

The pacing of the book is very well done.  There are two others after this one that continue the story and I'm currently just starting the second.  I really enjoyed the character development and how smart the storyline was.  It is an easy read if you need an airport pageturner. 

The movie is slated to be released in 2013.  Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, LOVE comments! Leave me anything. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...